The Moon And Sixpence


 First of all, this semester I couldn't finish reading this book. Therefore, I will write the impression and synopsis up to the point I read. I apologize for the halfway impression because I did not finish reading.
 The theme of this story is painting, with Paul Gauguin as the motif. The main character (the main point of view in the story) is a man who runs a novelist in England.One day he is invited to a party and he gets acquainted with the party owner , Charles Strickland. He is working for a trading company and has a stable life. But one day he suddenly disappears. At the request of his wife, the main character heads to Paris where he is said to be. There, the main character meets with him to hear the reason for his disappearance. Then he says thet he is here to draw a picture. The main character critisiz it, but he doesn't mind it either. The wife is sad when she hears that, but eventually walks through her life.
 When I read this part, I couldn't really agree with what Charles was doing. The cause of Charles's cause has not yet been said, and above all, I could not think of a transition from a stable life to a poor life (unstable as a new painter). By now, my favorite scene is that after breaking up with Charles, his wife runs her own life. She started working as a typist and became independent, but I felt the humanity there. This is not mentioned much in the story, but I think it improves the accuracy in the story.
 Five years after that, the main character moves to Paris. There he meets an unsold painter, Dirk Stroeve, whom he has known for some time, and finds out that he is crazy about Charles' talent. Taken by Stroeve, the main character meet with Charles, but he continues to live poorly, and then he and the main character are isolated.
 One day Christmas approaches, the main character visits Charles's atelier with Dirt Strove. Then he had a serious illness. Dirk Stroeve tries to take him to his house. But his wife, Brunch strongly objected. While persuaded by Dirk to take care of Charles, Brunch begins to favor him, eventually abandoning Dirk and attending Charles. However, she refuses to accept love and commits suicide. After learning about his wife's death, Dirk returned to his native Holland without losing respect for Charles. The main character met him and criticized him again. After that they never met again.
   Reading this far, I was even more puzzled. I don't understand Charles as much as I did in the previous part, and I can no longer empathize with Dirk. But in the end, there are things like what will happen to him and what will happen to the main character, so I will continue to read it.(Hoping that there will be a dramatic part from here, perhaps.)

コメント

  1. It sounds interesting. Please post your review of the whole book!

    返信削除

コメントを投稿

このブログの人気の投稿

英語教育講義(1)

JOHN F. KENNEDY (about a paragraph in charge)

Alice in wonderland.